Monday, October 6, 2014

Week 5

This week instead of the usual quote from the various science fiction readings, I've written a short fictional dialogue set in a dystopian society.

I sat at the table, waiting. It was not an anxious or impatient waiting.
I knew she was coming home.
She was allowed to go to work today, that meant she wasn't one of the ones that had been taken away, she wouldn't be one of the disappeared.
Five hours later when she walked into the apartment I was still sitting at the table. There was no where else to be, nothing else to do but wait.
"They took everyone who didn't have any assignments for today, it was all of the OTHERS" I said as she sat down across from me.
"The streets, the building, I didn't see anyone on my way home".
I nodded, I figured they had emptied the city of them.
"What should we do?"
"What is there to do?"
I idly picked at a splinter sticking out of the wooden table, I was scared to look up, scared of her reaction to what I would say next.
"When do you think they will come for us?"
"What are you saying?!" she exploded in anger. "They won't! We aren't like them! Look at us! Not a dark hair on us! Our skin is white, our eyes are blue, we are what this country needs, we have the right genes! There weren't just taken away for no reason,our city is being cleansed of them. Soon there won't be anymore of their genes contaminating everything. This is only the beginning, all beginnings are hard, it will get better soon. It will get better once they are no longer a problem. We are not them!"

"There was a time when they weren't THEM either".

No comments:

Post a Comment